Once upon a time in IIEG in Luebeck

After few months of organizing with Prof. Jeanette Erdmann, I finally reached Luebeck on March 2015. The plan was to do part of the lab work of my PhD as part of the DAAD scholarship which provided a funded short-term stay in Germany.
Once I reached Luebeck I got fascinated by the beautyful historical city and thanks to Dr. Zouhair Aherrahrou who picked me up from the airport, I had a brief information about the beautyful city. Next I met Prof. Jeanette Erdmnn and other members of the institute with warm welcoming.
       
I had few days to accommodate myself and then I started the lab work. I was looking for possible association between eNOS gene polymorphisms and Essential Hypertension in Sudanease population.
The institute members (scientists, bioinformaticians and experienced lab technicians) were very helpful and supportive and provided a lot of valuable comments when needed.
In the 6 months I stayed in Luebeck, not only I’ve done the lab work but also I got the chance to visit the Institute of Clinical Molecular Biology (IKMB) at Kiel University to learn a little bit about the NGS machines and the way of analyzing their data, I travelled to Paris, France to present my master thesis in the International conference of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, I got the chance to attend a post doc retreat where I was hosted in an amazing hotel in the beautyful city Bad Segeberg and I attended very informative discussions about other research and topics that opened my mind a lot.

Socially, the institute had a great atmosphere. I really enjoyed the family spirit of the institute and I learened a lot about different cultures from the international members of the institute from all over the world.
     
Overall all what I can say is, what a great 6 months I spent in Germany!!
I'll always keep the memory for the rest of my life. 
Greetings to all the members of the institute from Sudan and I hope that you get the chance to visit my country as well. Also special greetings from my son as well. : )


Sahar, Khartoum-Sudan

Comments