Sex matters

Today I gave a talk at the annual meeting of the research group Myocardial Hypertrophy (funded by the DFG; FOR1054). This is a scientific consortium interested in gender-specific aspects of myocardial hypertrophy. My talk was about x-chromosomal analysis and gender-specific aspects in GWAS.

My former supervisor, Prof. Regitz-Zagrosek leads this consortium and I was especially honoured that she invited me to be among the speakers.
 
The meeting took place in the Langenbeck-Virchow-Haus in Berlin-Mitte (280 km away from Lübeck) meaning that I needed to start my day at 4:15 a.m. this morning to arrive punctually at the venue. 
 
Travelling to Berlin is always something special, because I lived hear almost 15 years ago. At the German Heart Center in the working group from Prof. Regitz-Zagrosek I did my first PostDoc. The city has changed over the last 15 years (as Have I) and it is always fascinating to see these changes in real.

But now back to the topic - sex matters

It is not really a surprise, but what always strikes me is that the audience aktually is different in a meeting that focuses on gender-specific aspects compared to a "normal" meeting. What are the differences? Guess!
First, we have about 90% female audience and second it smells like perfum! 

JE
 
 

Comments